Next week is our final Preparing for Marriage Class with North Coast. I realized that I haven't really gone into detail about the classes or anything, so I figured I would do it today :).
Week 1 - JD (who is the married and young families pastor) talked to us about each other's expectations, compatibility and sexual purity. It was helpful to actually write down our expectations in different areas, so that they don't go unsaid and therefore unmet.
Weeks 2 and 3 - We went over the Myers Brigss Personality Preferences. I had done this 'test' before (back in school for a few leadership things), but it was really cool to see how Ryan and I fit together, what might be some benefits to our relationships and what might be some of the stumbling blocks with how we were each uniquely created.
Week 4 - Charlie (the executive pastor) and his wife Suzi went over how to reach financial freedom and set goals (financial goals that is). It was interesting to hear their view points (most of which were similar to common sense, but others were new ideas I had never thought of before).
Week 5 - Dave came in and taught us about communication and conflict resolution. It wasn't necessarily that helpful (at least for me), but it did help to show that open communication is key (which is pretty obvious, right?).
Week 6 - Chris (one of the lead pastors) and his wife Amy went through surviving and thriving marriage. I can listen to Chris talk for hours and not even notice the time (I think it is because I see him as a Christian Chris Farley or something, who knows, hehe). They went over what to do when road blocks come up, because they will. It was great to learn more about their relationship and really hear the nitty, gritty of what can go on (not just the butterflies and rainbows side of marriage).
Week 7 (next week) - JD and his wife Linda come back and they will be discussing intimacy in marriage. We are actually going to split up in boys and girls and talk in different places (I know it may seem like we are in junior high, but I am sure it will be beneficial to have the two separate talks).
Overall I think that this class has been very beneficial. Since Ryan and I have been together for almost 5 years, it isn't that we didn't know most of this stuff about each other (or ourselves), but it was nice being 'forced' into talking about it. We had weekly 'homework assignments' to do, whether they were writing down 10 reasons your partner is the one you want to marry and discussing them, going through a mock conflict, etc. We had to turn them in, but no one looked at them, it was more just to get you to do it (and feel like you accomplished something by turning it in).
Friday, June 20, 2008
Preparing for Marriage Schedule
Posted by Carlee McDot at 10:00 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
0 comments:
Post a Comment